Fundamental aspects of organic chemistry and analysis for conservators
4th – 8th November 2013, Horn, Austria
Dr. Jan Wouters
- explain the essentials of atomic structure of elements of prime importance for organic materials (C, O, H, N, S) and illustrate how this structure will be the basis for understanding instrumental analytical approaches for organic materials in heritage
- description of the main organic product classes that are ofinterest for the study of heritage: aliphatic and aromatic hydrocarbons, aldehydes and ketones, alcohols, ethers, acids, esters, terpenes, polycarbonates, proteins, synthetic polymers
- description of the main instrumental analytical methods that are ofinterest for the study of heritage
- practicals involving ball-and-stick models to help understanding important molecular features in organic chemistry such as nomenclature and isomerism
- reading and discussion of texts
The number of participants is restricted to 12.
>>>Registration not available yet
Accommodation during the course is either within the building (guesthouse) or in a close hotel (hotel conditions) and is included in the price. The guesthouse offeres a kitchen where participants can prepare own meals and the close connection to the venue is of advantage, but there is no TV and no telefone in the rooms. The hotel is 5 minutes walk from the venue, but provides all facilities a hotel normaly got.
After application you will be provided with further information.